Implications: Domestic and International Conventional Opportunities
While North America has made significant technological investments in unconventional resources over the past decade, major discoveries and economic successes in the offshore and conventional oil and gas sector has continued, both domestically and internationally. Subsurface knowledge, constraint, and quantification linked to performance in these settings can be challenging and require considerable financial investment. GeoMark has a long history of supporting conventional projects—from exploration to development—by providing customized sampling programs, consulting services, access to data via RFDbase, and research conducted to advance the scientific foundation of petroleum geoscience.
To optimize value in conventional plays, we use our data and science in a risk-based approach to address critical play elements (described below) that define the given opportunity. An assessment conducted prior to exploration or drilling a new well can highlight what additional data and context are required to reduce potential risks. The same approach can be applied at several stages in the project cycle, as needed.
GeoMark’s expertise in the integration of data “post well completion” and in earlier phases of appraisal can help guide the most cost-effective development plan and increase the accuracy of reserve estimates. Our history of conducting pressure-volume-temperature (PVT) analysis and designing reservoir geochemistry programs, for example, aids your project’s execution and production outcomes. Specific areas of project focus include:
- Evaluation of source rock intervals related to charge and migration history (i.e. including basin modeling)
- Reservoir connectivity via PVT and geochemistry (faults, depositional environments, etc.)
- Fluid contacts and container quantification
- Petrophysics-based pressure profiles for drilling hazards
- Reservoir deliverability
In summary, the integrated approach at GeoMark decreases uncertainty, which impacts both the geologic and economic chance of success at all project levels.
The petroleum industry has long used the approach of play analysis to define associated risks and make educated project decisions. Each play is defined by a set of play elements. For conventional systems, these are traditionally:
- Reservoir presence and quality
- Source presence and quality
- Timing and migration
A risk is assigned to each element based on available data and the geologic model built from that data. A critical point of the process is to identify the riskiest elements and see what can be done to address those risks. Can more data be obtained? Can a study be purchased? Should a different interpretation be solicited? GeoMark answers those key questions regularly for conventional projects with our lab analysis, research studies, and interpretation services.
GeoMark Research is in a unique position to empower you with high-value, high-quality laboratory measurements derived from the following analytical techniques:
- Organic Cuttings analysis — total organic carbon (TOC) and programmed pyrolysis
- Inorganic analysis (via our petrophysical database offering)
- Third-party inorganic cuttings analysis (Fourier transform infrared technology, X-ray diffraction, and X-ray fluorescence)
- Third-party mercury injection capillary pressure (saturation height function analysis)
- Core analysis — quantitative extraction, SARA content, isotopes, biomarkers, core-to-core correlation, and core-to-oil correlation
- TruSat core analysis — nuclear magnetic resonance, grain volumes, total porosity, dual retort oil and water saturations, including free versus bound fluid volumes (a unique thermal and solvent-based extraction technique)
- Mudgas analysis — mudgas isotopes, gas composition, and maturity constraint
- Oil/seep analysis — fingerprinting, bulk properties, SARA content, carbon isotopes (CSIA), biomarkers, oil-to-oil correlation, and determination of the associated source rock type, age, thermal maturity, and degree of biodegradation (if any)
- PVT analysis — pressure, volume, and temperature
We are known for our impeccable lab quality, rapid turnaround times, attention to detail, and interpretive expertise. This enables us to deliver unparalleled rock, fluid, and gas analysis results, for any and all environments.